Did you know that Honey Garlic Chicken originated in Canada? I didn’t either until I went looking for the best gluten-free option for creating that yummy sauce. I say no more bland chicken when it’s simmered and seared in a skillet with this beautiful blend. It becomes all bubbly and syrupy…. ‘oh WOW! say my taste buds”. You can pan sear a whole chicken breast or chop your chicken into bite size pieces and coat with a light gluten-free flour blend of choice for a thin coating that will absorb that rich sauce.
My home made version of this sauce usually involved a combination of honey, garlic, soya sauce, apple cider vinegar, butter, salt and flour. It wasn’t difficult to make but meant more work, building the flavours and getting the right combination of ingredients. The other concern I often have when I create my own sauces is the salt and sugar levels the end product may contain. I am definitely at the age when I need to control my sugar and sodium intake and, honestly, everyone should always be looking for lower levels of salt and sweetness.
Epicure has introduced their quick meal solution, Honey Garlic Meatballs, and that product has made my life easier. Gluten-free and made only with clean whole food ingredients, low in sodium and sugar conscious, I use this sauce to create my honey garlic sauce. It is so simple – just add water and honey to the blend and heat. The chicken I cook in my fry pan with a little oil and when it’s almost complete, I add the sauce and allow it to continue to simmer for another 5 minutes or so.
It is the meal most asked for in my home right now. It takes less than 20 minutes to make and goes well with any steamed vegetables. Picky eaters can use a little of that sauce to combine with their veggies, so they will enjoy their entire meal.
And don’t ever be restricted to the name of the packaging! This blend from Epicure goes well on ground beef, pork, fish, chicken wings, thighs and breasts and the list goes on. This of a vegetarian stew with this beauty. Always versatile, healthy and gluten-free – the perfect meal for most diet types.
Recipe – Honey Garlic Chicken
boneless chicken breasts chopped into small bite size pieces
1/4 cup gluten-free flour blend of choice
4 tbsp oil of choice for searing
Epicure Honey Garlic Meatballs meal solution
1 tbsp of water for sauce
1 tbsp of honey for sauce
– add flour to a large plastic bag and drop in the chopped pieces of chicken in and coat the chicken.
– add about 4 tbsp of oil to a frying pan and turn onto medium/high for searing the pieces. Add the chicken to the pan and sear the pieces.
– flip chicken so all sides gets seared and then place a lid on to cook all the way through (about 7-10 minutes).
– add 3/4 cup of water to a sauce pan, the Epicure mixture and a 1 tbsp of pure honey. Heat on medium heat until it looks like a syrupy sauce. Remove from heat.
– add the sauce to the fry pan once the chicken is cooked and it continue to simmer for 5 minutes to let that sauce soak in.
Serve from the pan or place in a bowl to serve.